Wednesday, February 15, 2012

School lunches

One of the main reasons I started this blog was to provide really true healthy food choices for feeding babies.  I spent so much time searching the web looking for healthy recipes only to find recipes that were labeled healthy when in fact they were not.  When you add sugar and salt and other processed ingredients it is no longer a healthy food.  (To my credit I do have a bachelor's degree in Health and Human Performance)  I was in shock today when I was surfing the internet and saw an article referencing school lunches and how some school thought this child's homemade turkey and cheese sandwich was not healthy and made the child eat chicken nuggets!  How could chicken nuggets be more nutritious then a sandwich that has a protein, dairy and a whole grain?  It truly is an outrage what these schools are feeding our children.  As parents we need to stand up and speak our mind about how much fat and sugar our kids are consuming from thier school lunches.  I do believe that we have to start in the home and teach our kids about healthy eating and set good examples for them.  This is why I am making all of the food that Mason eats, down to his teething biscuits.  If you want your child to be thier best you have to fuel thier bodies with the best.  Just because the package says "healthy" does not mean that it is.  As I learn more on this blogging stuff I will start posting healthy recipes, and giving advice on other healthy options for your little ones.  It is up to us as parents to pay close attention to everything we give our children so this next generation can be amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment